More String fusing: Fronius 5100 [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Wed Aug 3 12:18:05 PDT 2005

Ben & Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs®?
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadOvZbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Ice Cream Research Survey

William,

The driving factors in series fuse/no series fuse is the number of strings
and module choice, not inverter.

For instance if using Sanyo 190 modules, which have a 3.75A Isc output and
15 amp series fuse rating, you can run 4 strings of modules without
requiring series fusing.  However, use BP 3125S modules (7.54A Isc and 15A
fuse rating) and you can only run 2 strings before triggering the series
fuse requirement.

This is allowed by NEC 690.9(A), Exception B.

John Wiles wrote a short paper on PV modules and series overcurrent devices
that explains more, although it can make your eyes cross.  Anyone that wants
it, request off list and I'd be glad to send a copy.  Also, Brian Farhi at
Fronius wrote a very handy fuse sizing Excel reference tool that I use
almost daily.

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Support, ext. 238
p.undercuffler at conergy.us