steep roof scaffold and S-5! clamp mounting [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Sat Jul 30 17:54:46 PDT 2005

Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

Eric,

I've found that rental scaffolding just below the eave of the roof pitch being
worked on makes a good staging area, and provides a level of safety and mental
security when working on a high roof. I like to place several ropes up and over
the building (running up and down the pitch, not across the pitch), anchored
safely at both ends, to which I can clip in using a climbing harness. Trees,
deck framing, or, in a pinch, a parked vehicle, make good anchor points. Know
your knots! And, on a metal roof, I've found that spraying the roof surface
with a clear, sugary beverage (Sprite stinks when dry -I like no-name
lemon-lime sodas) all over the roof surface to be walked on vastly improves the
foot-traction. We use a 2 gallon plastic pump-up garden sprayer to spray on the
sticky liquid -just takes a thin application -washes off in a good rain, and
it's colorless and otherwise biodegradable. On a sticky roof, along with the
rope and harness, I've found the need for other rooftop scaffolding to be much
reduced. You're still faced with tired legs from standing on the steep pitch,
but if it's not a huge job, this approach saves time. I find I'm on my knee
pads a lot, supported by the rope anyway. I'm in the desert southwest, where
moisture is generally low. Up in the Pacific Northwest, the spray-on liquid
might not dry well enough to be useful -when we get a few drops of afternoon
rain here, all bets are off as far as traction on a metal roof is concerned
-slippery as ice when wet!

I hope this helps.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.

Eric Youngren wrote:

Hi folks,

As a dedicated lurker on this list, thanks to all of you who so readily share
your hard earned experience and advice with the rest of us.

I have two questions I'm hoping somebody can help with.

1.    What kind of scaffolding/staging systems do y'all like for big, steep roof
mount installations?  I'm looking at a 10/12 pitch with modules all the way up
at the ridge - about 40' or so off the ground.    My current extension ladder
assortment won't get me there and/or  allow much freedom for lateral movement.
 I saw this set up http://www.ultimateridgehook.com/   which looks very cool and
practical, but a bit pricey for enough hooks to set up a work platform across
the whole roof.     Anybody have a system for an easily installed, safe and
sturdy roof scaffold system they would care to share?

2.   What is your feeling about the S-5! clamps for standing seam metal roofing,
and does anybody care to share any experiences with using the S-5! clamps and
UniRac compression clamps directly under the modules without rails?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric Youngren
Rainshadow Solar
Orcas Island, WA