SW4024 with control problems [RE-wrenches]

David Nixon david.nixon at arisetech.com
Fri Jul 8 13:38:05 PDT 2005

Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

Hello
Two cents worth on flexable cables. I won't agrgue the case for useing
or not using welding cable but if you want to meet code and not spill
any blood, or rip the lead posts off of batteries, there is an
alternative. Use flexable electrical cable, here in Canada I have found
it to be compareable in cost to CSA listed welding cable. It is avalable
in cut lengths from electrical or cable wholesale. For example try
General Cable "Super Vu-Tron Diesel Locomotive Cable",this cable has a
RHH/RHW rating. This cable is listed for conduit installation in the
U.S. It's also sunlight resistant. Part number for 4/0 is 81940. AIW has
a similar cable, it has RW90 in Canada for even greater application
range. This cable is almost as flexable as welding cable and the skin is
a bit harder which makes it easier to pull into conduit. It also has the
feature that the strands are tinned, so less oxidization down the road
to cause voltage drop in your crimps.  These cables have stranding of
551/24 for 4/0. Now that we are using a listed cable we need listed
crimps for flexable cable. Try the T at B 54913BE lug listed for 550/24
stranding it has a 1/2" bolt hole. Or try the real slick Burndy lead
plated closed toe battery terminal YAG26L-TC38-LD (3/8 2/0)it is listed
for 325/24 standing for the 2/0 flexable cable. For the inverter end the
Burndey part is the YAV26LTC38FX (3/8 2/0) for regular tin plate.
If you need open toe for the inverter end there is a different part
number. This works in Canada, I am not sure about the U.S. but this is
all U.S. product listed by UL.

On the DCBB I have found mistorque because the fine strands get into the
coarse treads of the set screw. The strands jam the screw before proper
pressure is applied to the conductor. I remove the set screw completely
to feed in the conductor. Then with a slot screwdriver I push down any
stray stands that have made there way up into the threaded hole and then
finish pushing home the wire. BTW the flexable enlectrical cable is
easier to get into lugs than welding cable.

It is a pain that some of the electrical equipment is not as mature as
it could be but we have come a long way.

DN

Bob Ellison wrote:

> JW once told me that I should be using 2/0 or 4/0 THHN as battery
> interconnects.
>
> Bet he has never used it in that situation, or probably anywhere else!
> The thought of using it in a DC250 makes my knuckles bleed.
>
> Bob

David Nixon
ARISE Technologies Corporation
Kitchener Ontario Canada
david.nixon at arisetech.com

Get $1,000 to spend on groceries… any way you please. Click here!
http://click.topica.com/caadHlsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/GrocerySpree

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com