SW4024 with control problems [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Thu Jul 7 00:35:36 PDT 2005

Testers Wanted!
Take online surveys, earn Amazon vouchers.
http://click.topica.com/caadHvhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MediaTransfer

Matt & all,

Having just attended a John Wiles presentation today, it's worth noting that
he's strongly campaigning against using fine-stranded cables in lugs and
connectors that are not specifically listed for fine stranded conductors. He
contends that fine stranded cables will likely loosen up over time in pressure
connectors and lugs that were designed for wire with fewer strands (such as 19
strands for 4/0 THHN). Is the DCBB listed for fine-stranded cables? I believe
that the GJ breaker box lug is not. I've taken apart DCBB's in the past, and
conductors were all still tight, though I'll now be checking connections on
Trace DC disconnects and GJ breakers as the occasions arise. Are other wrenches
finding problems with fine-stranded cables in these applications? Has anyone
experienced problems with field-crimped cable lugs or with pre-made
fine-stranded battery interconnects (that all appear to use the types of lugs
that are not listed for fine-stranded cable)?

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.

Quoting Matt Tritt <solarone at charter.net>:

> Drake,
>
> Wow; is this de ja vu, or what? I just got back from an off-grid install
> I put in a number of years ago with very similar symptoms. In this case,
> however, I think I've traced all the problems back to a 4/0 cable
> connection (-) that managed to loosen-up over about 4 years. It wasn't
> so difficult to find the problem, seeing as how the DC bonding block got
> hot enough to fry some of the insulation off a controller lead connected
> to the same block. =(:-0 !!
>
> The report from the owners (who never seem to check anything until it
> breaks) was that: in auto mode the generator would run for hours, stop
> for about 15 minutes, then run for hours, ad nauseum. Even with the
> genny going full-tilt the bad connection prevented a full charge from
> ever being accomplished (for very long). I am not a big fan of the
> bonding block arrangement in the Trace DC box for several reasons, not
> the least of which is it's deep location - way to one side, which can be
> a hassle in some installations.
>
> So, even if your problem is not the negative connection, I suggest
> re-torquing all the connections within the DC enclosure to original
> spec's as a preventative measure. But you probably already did that!
>
> Matt T

Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk3bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/911PaydayAdvance

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com