[RE Marketing] solar tax legislation? [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Jun 8 10:35:35 PDT 2005

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Bill,
30% federal tax credit? I would be quite concerned about 30% as too high. I
think that it will create the kind of artificial market that led to abuse in
the late 70s for solar thermal, where the economics were tilted too far and
fast-buck folks got into selling tax credits. Keep in mind that this is
added to state incentives, that range from nonexistent in many states to
around 1/2 of system cost. The combination could drive a huge and
unsustainable tax-driven demand that could result in ugly, unsafe, and/or
underperforming systems. Keep in mind also that we are already all dealing
with module supply and demand problems, and an artificial tax-credit-driven
demand would cause the jobs to go to whoever can get modules--at any price.
Allan at Positive Energy