tankless electric water heater [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Tue Jun 7 10:47:23 PDT 2005

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadz4ebz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

--On Tuesday, June 07, 2005 8:50 AM -0400 "Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar" <bill_loesch at compuserve.com> wrote:

>>> There are two major distinctions between all tankless electric
>>> manufacturers (and there are a _lot_ more elec tankless than gas
>>> tankless):
>>>
>>> Some of the manufacturers (like Eemax) use a bare wire immersed in the
>>> water flow to directly heat the water.
>>>
>>> Others (Redring, Stiebel Eltron) use a heating wire covered by a copper
>>> jacket.
>>>
>>> Probably not a lot of difference between the two techniques unless water
>>> scale becomes an issue. The bare wire sheds the scale much better than
>>> the jacketed wire.
>>

>> Do you happen to know which category the Bosch units fall into?
>

> I am unaware of any Bosch manufactured electric tankless imported
> into this country. Controlled Energy Corporation (CEC) was the exclusive US
> importer of Bosch gas tankless until earlier this year when they were taken
> over by Bosch. Over the past few years CEC has sold both the EEMax whole
> house units and the Redring whole house electric tankless heaters under
> their own label of PowerStar. The current offering from Bosch (nee CEC) is
> the Redring model which uses the copper jacketed heating wire technique. As
> of this date a failure of any of the 6 heating elements (in the 120 Amp
> model) 4 heating elements (in the 80 Amp model) would require a changeout
> of the entire box (which is one very good reason to put proper unions on
> the installlation). The Redring does offer an external adjustment for
> temperature control (a nice feature if you are operating in a climate where
> the ground water temperature will change markedly between the summer and
> winter).

Yes, I was thinking of the PowerStar/CEC/Bosch.  Didn't know they were Redring.

>> This will need to handle a shower and a sink for a bathroom.
>
> Again with the limitation of the "two element" heater (two dedicated two
> circuit 40 Amp breakers, 80 Amps total, 17.25kWatt) will be hard pressed to
> deliver a 2 GPM in winter in Reno. Naturally, another "load" operating
> simultaneously decreases the temperature rise to both users. I would
> recommend sequential uses rather than simultaneous uses, especially in
> winter.

This unit will be located in the southern NM mountains where they have milder winters than we do (4400 degree-days of heating versus 6600 here in Reno.)  The municipal utility has no records of system water temps but the frost depth there is only 18" (much less most years.)

.

Need a new washer and dryer set? You could get one free!
http://click.topica.com/caadzTWbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com