SDHW overheat loop/window insulation [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson, Free Power Ltd. freepower at freepower.co.nz
Sun May 22 03:05:27 PDT 2005

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadtrVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

Thanks for the comments.

For a standard domestic system we pressurize the glycol systems to 60 PSI
and have no boiling problems at all during a power failure. We use flat
plate collectors which have a working pressure of 145 PSI max. All the
joints and piping are copper, I have never had a leakage problem.

The pH of the glycol we monitor periodically. This is the only issue that I
can see being a potential problem. As we keep the volume of the solar loop
down by using 1/2" tube, replacing the glycol periodically is not an
expensive exercise.

We use low pressure copper tanks with a solar coil heat exchanger, the pump
will stop when the tank top reaches 195 f

So I can see no reason to dump heat or circulate the system when the system
is stable and reliable, maybe the code in the US requires this ??

Carl Emerson
Free Power Ltd.
Auckland NZ