L-16 charging voltages [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Sat May 21 09:19:00 PDT 2005

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPbbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

David wrote:
all the cells are equally charged. This can happen at voltages lower
than 15.5v

Hey David - here's my .02$US,

It really depends upon the charge controller in use.  If single stage,
you're gonna need EQ's, at least if you have paralleled batteries or
series strings.  In small cabin systems with a single stage Sun Saver, I
usually install an EQ switch that both bypasses the CC and turns on a
little red LED.  But if you have more than a cabin system, and a bigger
battery, you'd want a three stage CC.

Some three stage CCs use a timed absorption period some of which are
programmable.  I feel the larger the battery, or at least the more
paralleled strings, the more time it should spend in absorption.

Blue Sky uses a really cool method of determining the float transition.
When the amount of current it takes to hold battery voltage at the
absorption voltage set point falls below a programmable setting (float
transition current, based on battery size), the CC drops into float.
Theoretically, if some of the cells are still absorbing current, the
current will be above the float transition set point.  But, if the
battery had seen very slight discharge the night before, the CC will
spend very little time in absorption rather than the default 2 hours of
timed CCs.

Kurt Nelson

Kurt Nelson
PO Box 309