passive solar sanity check [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Tue May 17 09:19:42 PDT 2005

Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caaduFNbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Hi Kurt,
The 30-60 shortcut is lattitude dependent. I assumed the job was near
Redding CA and it will do for there.

Here's the rule for all North Lattitudes.
Project a line out from the top of the window upward at the December
noon sun altitude angle from the horizontal.
Project a line out from the bottom of the window upward at the June noon
sun altitude angle from the horizontal.
Put the bottom of the gutter or facia board at the point where the two
lines cross.
Use the November - May altitude angles to detune the shading a bit, this
will give more sun in winter, and more shade in summer.

cul deant

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

>> The overhang problem is easy to draw, more difficult to type out.
>

> Thanks for the shortcut -- does it apply regardless of latitude?
>
> We've got the overhangs calculated already for the building.  What
> we're missing is a justification for the increased window area on the
> south wall.

Dean T. Newberry

http://www.TalbottSolar.com
Email:  deant at dcn.org

Cell:      530 867-2392
Fax:      530-758-8187

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php