Electrolysis Damage Story [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat May 14 12:22:42 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Wrenches,
Thank you for the responses to my story about the electrolysis-damaged pole
(original post below). Last Monday we went back to the site, dismantled the
array and tracker (before it blew over), took photos, did some
investigating, and have a fairly clear plan of action.

Here's what we found: The array racking had been grounded to a rod with #8
bare copper. However, a bonding conductor had not been included with the 2/0
input conductors back to the DC buss in the BOS equipment, and the PV
negative conductor had not been bonded to ground at the array (the "separate
structue" approach). The ground wire was corroded to nothing at the points
between the pole and the ground rod where it entered and left the earth, and
there was green "slime" in a few spots where the wire had been.

It is our guess that the short at the 1/2" Romex connector that served as
strain relief for the PV+ input wires had been there for a long time,
perhaps since installation. We speculate (none of us are engineers, and we
haven't seen this before) that the ground conductor had carried some fault
current to ground for all that time, and eventually galvanic corrosion had
caused the wire to dissolve sacrificially. Once the ground wire no longer
carried any fault current, the steel pole had to carry it, and it began an
accelerated rusting from galvanic action.

When we looked down into the pole, we saw that the entire area below grade
was heavily blistered on the inside of the pipe, but it was fine above
grade. The outside of the pipe was also heavily blistered, and the ground
around the pipe was rust-colored.

If the array negative had been bonded to ground at the array, the direct
short and resultant power loss would have been easy to spot and correct. If
the system had an array GFCI (which wasn't available at that time), it would
have likewise tripped, and the fault could have been easily corrected. If
the array ground had been bonded to the BOS, a ground loop would have been
present, and it may or may not have been detected, but it would probaly have
prevented or greatly slowed the galvanic corrosion. (As it was, we also
discovered that no DC grounding conductor had been installed; the DC was
grounded only through the Power Panel backplate to the chassis ground lug in
the IBS, which was carried back to the utility main disconnect bond point
and lug by a #10 conductor. But at this point, that's a separate issue
needing correction.)

At this point, we plan to repair and use the existing pipe, using both
internal (a second 5" pipe, rebar, and welding) and external (built-up
concrete containing rebar drilled into the existing concrete base, bent and
welded to the pole). The clients are out of town for awile (birth of a
granddaughter) so the project is now on hold; stay tuned.

Allan at Positive Energy