Electrolysis Damage Story [RE-wrenches]

Mark Drummond mark at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri May 6 11:04:11 PDT 2005

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaHbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing Computer

Hi Darryl,

I'm the one that actually discovered the damage. I measured the voltage
to ground, literally. The ground was damp and has been all winter from
rain - so the moisture is penetrating deep into the soil. I got a very
solid reading. I thought to do it after having very strange behavior
apear with a new tracker controller that I was installing. The crazy
behavior it was exhibiting made me think there was a grounding issue -
like the chassis of the controller was not at ground potential. So I
stuck my black lead in the ground, and viola, 28VDC solid and
repeatable, everywhere on the tracker and the pole. It was fun, try it
sometime. Allan didn't mention that before inspecting the pole I looked
at the grounding electrode conductor to see why this potential was not
dissipating. It was eaten away where it entered the ground all the way
to the electrode - stray current electrolysis, definitely not rust. So
then I wondered why the pole itself was not grounding the array. That's
when I found the pole damage. Both the pole and the GEC have been
passing current to some degree the whole time, but the wet ground this
winter probably reduced resistance to ground considerably and
accelerated the electrolysis. The wet ground certainly accelerated any
rusting of the steel pole as well. Simple oxidation is certainly
involved with the steel, but I was under the impression that once there
is a rust layer blocking oxygen from contacting the steel, the process
halts. I could be wrong about that. Anybody an expert on rusting?

I'm still not sure if there is a grounding electrode at the house. There
was a grounding conductor running that direction. The house was locked
and the owners were gone. If there is, it is certainly compromised, or
the charge would have dissipated through that path. The same thing might
have happened to that GEC, if it exists, since it certainly would have
passed part of the fault current. I reconnected to the old ground rod
and drove a new one to be safe.

Mark Drummond
Positive Energy Inc.
(505) 424-1112