2 wire to 3 wire generator control [RE-wrenches]

Ron Stauffer rstauffer at rocketweb.net
Fri May 6 06:55:27 PDT 2005

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaHbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing Computer

Darryl & Randy

It is my understanding that the SW disconnected the crank function when it
sensed AC input.  The Trace techs said that this should not be relied on as
an engine control.  Imagine if the AC output breaker on the genset trips -
no AC going to the SW and the starter stays engaged.   Darryl it sounds like
there is no AC getting to the SW so it is trying to start again??

Engine controls that I have used are Dynagen and Solar Converters - both
Canadian companies.  Dynagen uses gen AC output to disconnect crank function
so hotwire before breaker.  I think that Solar Converters uses the magneto
pickup but not sure.  These do take some time to setup and you will find it
very handy to have the wiring schematic for the genset.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
www.timeforsolar.com

I would like to ask a related question, how does the
old SW do generator start?  Relay 7 is the run
contacts and relay 8 is the crank contacts.  ( I
think) How does the SW stop cranking when the
generator starts?

My repair customer has system with no diagrams done by
a now disappeared solar installer on a stand alone
system.

When the generator is set for auto and the batteries
get low, the generator cranks and starts.  The starter
stay engaged for a while after the gen starts.  Then
while running for a few minutes perhaps one minute the
starter tries to restart the running engine?

Help
Darryl

--- Randy Brooks <Randy at BrooksSolar.com> wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> I recall seeing someone mention recently that 2 wire
> to 3 wire
> generator control adapters were available to allow
> control of a 3 wire
> genset with an OutBack FX inverter.  I've searched
> the likely spots on
> the web and have not located one.  Can anyone
> suggest where I might
> find such a beast?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Randy Brooks

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaFbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com