two arrays [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Apr 26 11:39:04 PDT 2005

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Sharebuilder

Darryl,
You don't say what the modules are; I'm assuming that you probably have 6
12V modules in series. The 33 cells will probably save you. Most modern
polycrystalline modules have 36 cells, not 34. So you are 1 1/2V lower than
typical per module, or 9V lower on a 72V array at normal temperatures; even
more drop at cold-temperature VOC. Unless there's more to the story, I
wouldn't lose any more sleep.

The MX60 is a great way to make use of any old 30-cell
("self-regulating"-ha!) or 33-cell modules, as long as they're not combined
with higher voltage modules.

I have been following the recent mixed-module thread with interest, as we
are currently working with a long-time client with a "democracy tracker" of
ancient modules. They wanted both to add more PV and move the existing
tracker farther from the house, but had existing buried wire that couldn't
easily be upgraded. We took out the existing SB50 and installed an MX60. We
installed a new 1280-watt array wired 48V (the system is 24V nominal). We
did simple I/V curve testing on the existing modules with a homemade module
load tester, as some had browned and others were good, and picked the best
matches. The new array will use 9 Arco M52L Quadlams (wired in series), in
series with 4 Arco 16-2000s (wired in parallel). On paper it works out to
about 6-6 1/2A at 64V, which matches the MPP of the new array pretty well.
We'll also series two BP75s and two BP80s on the same array, but they also
have pretty similar I/V characteristics. The client accepts the "try it and
see" uncertainty, so it will be interesting to see how it performs. How many
17-module 48V arrays have you seen recently?

Allan at Positive Energy