Four-nozzle Stream Engine at low head? [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Tue Apr 19 18:35:44 PDT 2005

Personals at Meeting Friends Online.
Find your perfect partner...We’re here to help.
Click below to register for FREE and start connecting!
http://click.topica.com/caadmZ5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MeetingFriendsOnline

Hi Gary,
With four 7/8" nozzles you could run 250 GPM through the ES&D turbine
and get about 450 watts. That great of a flow might flood the wheel and
reduce efficiency a bit. Do you need this much power. You would be
getting over 10 kwh per day. Even with two turbines, the price is pretty
low compared to using PV modules. I would be inclined to try a four
nozzle machine if you can live on less than 10 kwh per day.
David

David Katz
President, AEE Solar
formerly Alternative Energy Engineering
1155 Redway Drive - Box 339
Redway, CA 95560 USA
(707) 825-1200
(707) 825-1202
email: david at aeesolar.com
web: www.aeesolar.com

Gary Higbee wrote:

> Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
> Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
> 0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to 2%
> Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud protection.
> http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8QcsciHNopa/DiscoverCard
>
> Wrenches,
>
> I'm working a hydro site that has about 20' of head, and an available
> flow of up to about 250 gallons per minute (we're likely using 6"
> pipe). A four-nozzle Stream Engine would seem to be a good choice, but
> ES&D suggests using a pair of two-nozzle units for the highest
> efficiency. Sounds good, but that's a heck of a lot of money. I used a
> four-nozzle on a lowish head system some years ago, but unfortunately
> don't remember the numbers.
>
> Do any of you have first-hand knowledge that would suggest we'd be OK
> in the 200-250 gpm range with a four-nozzle unit at 20' of head? Any
> numbers?
>
> While we're on this have you found that the published power numbers
> for the Stream Engine agree with your installed readings?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ~ Windstream Solar ~
> Gary Higbee (gary at windstreamsolar.com)
> (541 ) 607-1818 (Eugene)
> (541) 954-3881 (Cell)
> Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
> Components dealer and installation management
> Energy Trust of Oregon contracted system inspector
> Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
> http://click.topica.com/caadlVAbz8QcsciHNopf/ProductTestPanel
>
> - - - -
>
> Archive of previous messages:
>
> List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVCbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Consumer Research

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php