Multimode inverter [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 5 21:10:23 PDT 2005

Is your PC running slow? Try a FREE PC Health Check today!
http://click.topica.com/caadlCkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Health Check

Hi Allan. The Sunny Island is a little different. It won't pull excess DC
energy off the battery, convert it to AC, and then push it out to the grid
like we're used to from brands X and O. What it does is create a stable
micro-grid, using either utility power if available, or battery power
otherwise. This micro-grid is stable and clean enough that any available
direct grid-tie inverters (like a Sunny Boy 2500U for instance) will
continue to operate. The Island will use any available energy from grid-tie
inverters to meet household demands, making up any shortfall with battery
power. If there's extra power coming in, it'll charge the batteries. If
there's extra power after all household loads are met, and the batteries are
charged, it'll tweak the frequency up to 61 hz, which makes the grid-tie
inverter(s) shut off. The Island isn't strictly a grid-tie inverter, so it
probably won't qualify for rebates. But then it will allow your regular
off-the-shelf grid-tie unit (for which you CAN get, or already got, a
rebate) to continue supporting your household during a utility outage. I see
it being useful for long distance transmission, or for making a small
utility grid where none exists. Spread out eco-resorts seem like a natural
for this product. Plug in PV arrays anyplace on the grid that's handy.
(Am I doing okay John B.? Feel free to jump in here.)
Cheers,
Doug Pratt