nimh batteries [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 2 22:07:57 PST 2005

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadeMjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Actually Nik, the self-discharge thing was a big problem with the first
generation of NiMH cells about 10-12 years ago, but has been addressed and
is much less of a problem now. I tested a couple sets of NiMH vs. a couple
sets of Nicads about 5-6 years ago when the 2nd generation of NiMH cells
started showing up. These were all batteries I'd run thru 10-12 cycles
already, and had good average records for. I charged them, sealed them in an
envelope for two months, then ran a discharge cycle and compared. The Nicads
lost about 60% of their charge over the two months, the NiMHs lost about
35%. Better! But still, if it's the emergency flashlight in your glovebox or
trunk, put alkaline cells in. They'll last up to ten years. Or better yet,
get one of those "skaker lights". It's a big magnet sliding back and forth
thru a coil, charging a capacitor, running a white LED. Not real bright, and
you gotta shake it up every minute or so, but there's nothing to wear
out...ever!

-Doug Pratt