Off-grid update... [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Feb 25 20:25:07 PST 2005

Repair corrupt files and harmful errors - protect your PC Take a
2-minute PC health check-up at no charge!
http://click.topica.com/caaddztbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Kurt:

It doesn't seem at all ambiguous to me:

         690.5 Ground-Fault Protection.
         Roof-mounted dc photovoltaic arrays located on dwellings shall be
         provided with dc ground-fault protection to reduce fire hazards.

and,

         Dwelling Unit. One or more rooms for the use of one or more persons
         as a housekeeping unit with space for eating, living, and
sleeping, and
         permanent provisions for cooking and sanitation.

If the modules are mounted "on" your house, and you cook, sleep and poop
(in a toilet) there, you are required to have GFP.

Plus, ground fault protection can protect against fire hazards.  I've seen
faults that burnt equipment and almost started a fire and I believe GF
protection would have prevented the damage.

William Miller

At 02:17 PM 2/25/2005, you wrote:

>One thing I always wondered in regards to the GFP requirement.  My PV
>modules are mounted on the south side of my house.  Mounted just above
>the downstairs window which means when I make seasonal adjustments to
>the array, doing so also offers more shading of the summer sun to the
>downstairs windows, and when I tilt them down in the Fall they let the
>winter sun in.
>
>In any case, the way I read the letter of the code, I don't need GFP,
>but by the spirit of the code, I'd guess I do.  BTW, I don't.
>
>Kurt Nelson
>SOLutions

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadazsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing Computer

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com