Wind-Loading and Tilted panels on roofs [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Fri Feb 18 18:00:09 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

Hello Justine,
Let me echo Don Loweberg's advice to use plane of roof mounting.
Also your local building officials know what wind loading to use for
your area.
The penalty for east or west facing modules may be less than you think.
You can test your assumptions with the spreadsheet at this URL
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/deant/EnergyCalc.xlt
Use medium security in Excel and enable macros.

In Denver a 1kW array facing south at 6 in 12 slope would generate
1.78MWh/Yr. The same array facing  east or west would  generate
1.43 MWh/Yr.  a 20% penalty.  Seldom is the house on a true rotational
axis, you could pick the slope which favors the south. Small azimuth
increments make a difference. If the azimuth is south of west  by only
11degrees, the penalty is only 11%.

If Time Of Use (TOU) metering is not an issue face the modules east for
cooler operation. If TOU is available a west facing array may be more
economically favorable.

--
Dean T. Newberry
Marketing and Sales

Quantum Energy Group
265 Applegate School Road, P.O. Box 158
Applegate, Ca. 95703

Email:  deant at dcn.org

Cell:      530 867-2392
Office:  530-878-4585
Fax:      530-878-6685

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caac8usbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com