20 year old flate plate collectors? sure! [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Tue Feb 1 19:35:13 PST 2005

We have the 42 Inch Plasma TV you've been looking for!!  Sony or
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Wide Screen TV's. Put one up on your
wall today!  Click Below
http://click.topica.com/caac8uBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExclusiveRewards

 Zev Fisher writes:
 Can somebody show me a 20 or 30 year old flat plate, built since the
seventies
 that is still operating?

My reply:
    I've worked on about 200 Carter administration DHW systems here in SE
Massachusetts.  I'd say that about 80% of the original flat plate collector,
closed loop anti-freeze systems are still working, even after reroofs and
tank replacements.  They have a similar customer satisfaction rate(~80%).
Except for those relatively short lived Vaughn internal HX tanks, they are
very low maintanance and very high reliability.
    All of the evacuated tube systems that I've seen have been scrapped, but
this was largely due to failure of the reflective backing.  Breaking tubes
have definitely been an issue too.
    Most of the drainback systems have been scrapped or converted to closed
loop anti-freeze.  Circulator failure, freeze ups, maintenence....
    Draindowns have been a disaster due to the sticky Spool valve debacle.
This is a shame since they are the most efficient, logical type of DHW
system.
    I am working on a equipment package for draindowns that is in it's third
year of testing.  I hope to be able to distribute at cost soon for furthur
trials if anyone is interested. Contact me off list at conradg at cape.com.

cheers,
Conrad Geyser
Cotuit Solar

Would You Like Your Money 2-Day? Get started now! TaxBrain Online.
http://click.topica.com/caac8vpbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TaxBrain

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com