Fw: Capacitor [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Mon Jan 17 08:10:43 PST 2005

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac2N5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Thanks to all who have replied concerning the search for a 14 Microfarad
capacitor that is 2 1/2" long by 1 3/8" in diameter.  My special thanks
goes to John Wiles for his research and to Alan Sindelar for relaying his
message.

A number of Wrenches contacted me off the list with the suggestion of
putting a larger capacitor outside of the motor.  The difficulty with this
is that the motor fits inside a roller with a 2" outside diameter.  The
casing of the motor rotates, as well as the roller outside of it.  There is
a small, plastic device on one end, where the power / control wires come
into the unit.  With this setup, it would be very difficult to get an
external capacitor wired in.

John Wiles came very close to finding a unit that would fit.  My electric
motor technician told me this morning that 1 1/2 inches in diameter is the
absolute maximum for the capacitor.   Especially after Mr. Wile's research,
I'm thinking that a small enough capacitor is probably not available on the
U.S. market.  (The motor was made in France, and no parts or repair are
available for the motor).

It looks like we are going to have to bite the bullet and spring for the
$448 when all that is needed is a $10 part.  Oh Well.  If the new unit
lasts another 25 years, I guess it is worth the cost.

Thanks again,

Drake

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac2NUbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com