Submersible Pump Advice [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Dec 23 18:03:07 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Hi Doug, David, Allan, all;

I've used the Grundfos SQ with 100% success so far running on a variety
of inverters mostly DRs. What are the advantages & differences to
running the SQflex instead of the SQ?  The SQ uses a standard
centrifugal multistage pump head vs. the SQflex uses the rotary positive
displacement head similar to the Lorentz right? Is the SQ flex more
efficient then?  I was under the impression that  at  more depth (300 ft
for instance) that the flow rate was under 5 gpm for the SQflex making
them more suitable for stand alone array direct pumping.
 For sanitation reasons, I would strongly reccomend a pump with a flow
rate high enough to pump directly into the house pressure system, and
skip the cistern and 2nd pressure pump. We've converted a few old
Sunrise systems to SQ well direct to house setups. We leave the cistern
and pressure pump for separate rain catch system for irrigation and fire
protection. By placing a couple of  garden faucets/ boiler drains in
each system, the 2 separate systems can be plumbed together in an
emergency with washer hoses, but otherwise they are completely separate
to avoid contamination. I don't recommend any fancy multi valve systems,
the customer will screw it up and mix cistern water into the domestic
water supply. Most cisterns must be treated regularly with chlorine or
else they harbor E-Colli bacteria. We had a couple relatively clean ones
flunk bacteria tests much to our embarrassment. We started moving all
our customers away from cistern water for domestic supply ever since.

Ray

>Allan, I'd favor the SQFlex solution. They have no problem with mod-sine
>(this is from an engineer at Grundfos, whom my co-worker grilled mercilessly
>for an hour on the subject), and higher voltage transmits easier. The SQFlex
>has proven itself reliable, adaptable, and awesomely efficient. In spite of
>reservations about putting all the electronics down the hole, I've yet to
>hear of any failures (other than letting them continue to run when the
>water's all gone). Anybody had any SQFlex failures that weren't
>externally-caused?
>
>Cheers,
>Doug Pratt

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com