Outback MX60 question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Dec 22 14:28:05 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Wrenches,
We recently had an in-warranty MX60 failure, and given the explanation from
Outback, I'm posting here to find out if this is a common enough failure for
us to plan some pre-emptive replacement of a few other MX60s.

An MX60 in a PS2 offgrid application (1900W 72V array into 48V battery)
failed and was reported by the customer. He saw blank screen and no output;
a reboot caused it to actually charge partially. We determined the
MPPT/voltage conversion had failed, but the straight-through partial
charging carried the customer along for 5 days until I could get out with a
replacement. Sent the unit in for repair and got the unit back repaired and
upgraded.

A call afterwards requesting explanation of what happened taught me this:
Outback found a "glitch in the silicone in the Atmel processor". The flaw
would sometimes short the FETs momentarily when the unit turned on. It also
in the process welds the relay contacts closed (which is what allowed it to
charge some even though it had failed).

I was told that Outback found a firmware reprogram that worked around the
glitch, and applied it to all controllers after serial #7385 (I think
they're somewhere around #11,000 now). They also recalled some distributor
stock to do this repair before they went into the field.

Who else has had a similar failure? Anyone had more than one? This was an
expensive callback that was fully on our nickel. Anyone at Outback wish to
clarify what I have written here? Anybody at Outback wish to offer a recall
program for MX60s in a certain range, with a reimbursement for the service
call to do a replacement? (Dream on, solar bozo...)

Thanks for any responses here.
Allan at Positive Energy

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com