miniture sine wave inverter [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Fri Dec 9 09:44:54 PST 2005

I spoke at length some time ago with the good folks at Exeltech.  The
advantage of the AC module as they see it is that it eliminates the DC
disconnect and GFP issues of standard grid tied systems.  The inverters are
designed to string multiple AC modules on a single AC circuit; they believe
they can run about 8 150-200w modules on a single 12-2 conductor circuit.
Also, they believe they can get it listed to use UF cable as the wiring
method instead of current "esoteric" PV wiring methods.

The disadvantage of their approach is that UL considers attaching the
inverter to the module as part of the manufacturing process, so it must be
under strict UL control and blessing.  No field installable versions are
planned.  They don't know if they will try to buy modules and install
inverters themselves, or sell the inverters to certain certified/listed
assemblers, or what.

Also, every new module/inverter combination must undergo the whole listing
process.  They had one instance where the module they were working with
changed the output spec by three watts, and they had to pay full pop to
re-list it.

Phil Undercuffler
Tech Services Manager, ext 238

Conergy, Inc.