DC heat? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 22:49:50 PST 2005

To all
Would it be practical to operate using the battery
from 100% to 90% and then recharge.  This gives a
longer run time for the compressor of the Heat pump,
it allows the system to use one  heat pump at full
power.

How long should a heat pump run to maintain reasonable
life expectancy?  If the heat pump could run for 1
hour on these conditions, and the off time depends
upon the charging rate?  A three ton HP at 3.3 COP
would require 3 kW for 1 hr.  This is about 60 amp hrs
at 48 volt nominal.  Or a 600 AH battery set.

If the RE source was producing during this period the
run time would be increased.  How many cycles can a LA
battery take at 10% DOD?

It would appear that the RE energy system would have
to be much too large for the requirements to supply a
reasonable amount of energy to this expensive energy
booster.  If it were too large then an extra means of
power dump would be required.

just a thought.
Darryl