DC heat? [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Mon Nov 21 17:18:53 PST 2005

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DirectSatTV

Geoff,

There's nothing inherently wrong with making heat with renewable
electricity, and wind and heating are a great match in many places.
Using RE is certainly better than using fossil fuels. It's just been
a financially difficult decision with dino-fuels cheap and RE gear
expensive in the toddlerhood of RE. We need to make sure we don't
take our 20-year-old off-grid mindset into the future. The goal
should be to have _everything_ powered with renewable energy.

That said, there are better and worse ways to use the technology, and
we should focus on the most efficient applications possible. Consider
using a heat pump to get more bang for your buck on your Bolivian
project. I know a few people playing with these with hydro systems,
and I'm tempted to get one to use my surplus wind energy when the
kids leave home and leave us an energy surplus. With a 3:1 COP, you
cut the size of your wind turbine to a third compared to the same
amount of resistance heat, unless I'm missing something. Contact me
off-list for contact info for the hydro/heat pump folks. Though
theirs are small applications compared to yours, they may be able to
give you some insight

Best,

Ian

Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor