Commercial off-grid application? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 11:34:54 PST 2005

<x-flowed>
Hey David B.,

I think Jay's response  is right on the money in terms of the
generator.  You basically need to talk them out of the notion that a
gigantic battery bank is any more environmentally responsible than a
small one backed up by a seldom run propone or perhaps diesel unit.
You might sell them on the propane unit by speaking of the
possibility that some day in the not too distant future, local green
gas production may be possible in the form of methane or hydrogen.
Give them some reason to back away from their position.

The other, probably more immediate approach, is to sell them on the
vision of "greening the grid" by putting all that money that would
have been spent on batteries that eventually land in the land-fill or
some Asian backyard recycled by bare-handed kids - into grid tied PV.

I think sometimes our job is more of psychologist than engineer . . .
. "you don't want to do that" sometimes is the best sales line.  Or
at least one we can sleep with at night.  . . .  It's fun to be an
engineer and try to solve the problem - but we must be careful the
problem is defined right in the first place.

Is there a way to have biodiesel or vegie oil be a reliable backup?
I think Jay may be practically right  on that, but it would be nice
if he wasn't - anybody else with experience have a say on that?

So get to work and sell them a very large PV system (or better yet an
aggressive conservation program) with all that money and disgust of
oil!

Best of luck!

Jeff C.

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
>http://click.topica.com/caaeatsbz8Qcsa9hBZia/Your opinion
>
>Hi, David,
>

>How long does this system have to back up for?  Minutes, hours, days?
>
>If its minutes, then yep a industrial sealed battery ( absolite 2P)
>the way to go.
>
>If its a few hours same.
>
>If you ever need this to run for more than some hours, then you'll
>need the genny.  For example, when the power does go out
>usually its from storms, hence no solar, no battery recharge, and
>then you''ll need the genny to power this anyway.
>
>I don't recommend bio, straight oil or even diesel for such a
>standby by unit.  All of this fuels don't like to sit for months let
>alone years.
>A propane unit with storage tank gives the best backup.  ( even if
>you have natural gas, if the power goes out, so can the power for
>the gas)
>
>On a side note, I understand the dislike of gennys, but in this
>case, its actually much more environmentally friendly to go with
>only a small battery to run before the genny
>starts than to go with a huge battery.  Assuming the use of backup
>is the normally very rare thing.
>
>peace,
>
>jay
>
>peltz power
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>MAKE NEW FRIENDS, MEET POTENTIAL BUSINESS PARTNERS, FIND THAT SPECIAL SOMEONE!
>IT'S EASY, IT'S FUN! AND BEST OF ALL, IT'S TOTALLY FREE!
>http://click.topica.com/caaeatFbz8Qcsa9hBZif/Friendsand.com
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage