Sharp v Sanyo v Shell modules [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Wed Oct 12 09:20:12 PDT 2005

Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caad3P6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Ice Cream Research Survey

Barbara,

Where are you getting your "efficiency" numbers? Are you speaking of the
CEC/STC ratio? Although Sanyo does a good job of rating their modules
(likely do to the heavy hand-slapping they received several years ago by the
Japanese government), I don't see how anyone in this market could know what
the actual shipped performance is. We have tested all these products in the
CEC PIER program (pierminigrid.showdata.org)and the annual yield (kWh/kWstc)
at the same site is so nearly identical, that it is unfair to say the Sanyo,
Shell, or Sharp are significantly different from one another.

What we need at the moment is manufacturers to consistently rate their
modules and provide product within a more predictable tolerance range.
Currently manufacturers are required to provide product within 3% for the
German market. This mean that, in general, the U.S. market receives the
leftovers in the -3% to -10% range. This is reality given the fact that none
of the U.S programs require product closer than 10%. Manufacturers may claim
a 5% tolerance, but look carefully at their actual warranty. No one in the
U.S. market is on the hook until the product is more than 10% low. These
issues are independent of manufacturer. This is not to say that
manufacturers are purposely trying to mislead the U.S. market. They are
simply held to a higher standard in Germany.

Bill.