Takagi water heater [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Thu Aug 25 05:38:15 PDT 2005

Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate?
Take our Nationwide Chocolate Survey today!
Receive a FREE* $100 restaurant gift card of your choice or $100
worth Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadOv3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Chocolate Survey

Dave Palumbo,

 As you are probably aware, the T-KD20 is a sealed combustion refinement of
the T-K2 which is a slightly bigger T-K1 (and some other refinements).

Since all these machines incorporate a GFCI, I can guarantee you that the
advertizing hype of "uses no energy when not producing hot water" is a bit
of poetic license. What their (obviously non technical pureists) ad copy
people should have said was "...no _gas_ energy...".

Unfortunately, I am not aware of _any_ sealed combustion tankless heater
that also does not have an addiction for AC power.

There are more than one tankless units available that use no AC power _and_
have no standing pilot flame, but these are not sealed combustion units.

There is an available wired remote control for the Takagi water heaters
(adjusts the temperature from the remote location as well as provides
rudamentary diagnostics for fault isolation) which elliminates at least its
own display when the off position is selected. Perhaps Chi (sp?) at Takagi
in CA  (tel 888 882 5244) can give you the latest lowdown on this machine
in concert with the remote.

Good luck,

Bill Loesch, Solar 1- Saint Louis Solar, tel/fax 314 631 1094

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com

Wrenchers,

I've got a client in need of a direct vent on demand water heater.

How has the Takagi T-KD20 worked for people?

The literature says it takes 96 watts on start up, and 48w to run. It also
says that this unit "uses no energy when not producing hot water" , I take
that statement with a high degree of skepticism. This will be an off-grid
OutBack system with a modest PV array to start.

Any real life testimonies as to its performance, reliability and its no
load
power draw to share?

Thanks,
Dave<