Inverter Load Analysis [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 21:40:27 PDT 2005

Oh yeah, off-grid...I remember that! It's a guessing game. Customers usually
figure their loads too high, us techies usually figure them too low. After
all, who would leave a light on they weren't actually USING at the moment?

10 watts and 92% inverter efficiency sounds about right to me Ray. You could
bump your battery efficiency up a bit if a lot of loads are run daytime, but
frankly a bit of oversizing is probably a good thing. I've rarely
encountered an off-griddie who had too much power. If the system is too
expensive for the client you can always shave off a few PV modules and let
them lean on the backup generator for a few years till they can afford to
upgrade. Just leave 'em room for that upgrade.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt