SW4024 with control problems [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Jul 7 09:05:32 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadHlCbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Dan,
This is a problem that I sure hope can be resolved with fine stranded
cable-approved connections, not by having to use THHN. As you know, the
arrangement of components within the DCDB is so hopelessly tight, even
when using very flexible cable, I can't begin to imagine how impossible
it would be having to use such rigid wire. Not having used Xantrex
products since Outback came on the scene (Yay!), I'm not up on what the
current arrangement is in their newer DC disconnect enclosure, but the
older type that uses 2" offsets presents a very nasty situation for any
installer attempting to use stiff wire.

We recently re-did a job done by a local competitor who had used THHN in
just such an example. We should have taken pictures of the mess before
ripping it apart, since it would make a perfect illustration on what
sort of stresses are put on equipment by doing it this way. I noticed a
few drops of blood inside the enclosure, by the way. The biggest problem
is simply that the geometry of design and fragility of components in the
Xantrex system does not lend itself well to using wire with the
flexibility of 1/2" re bar.

Also, as we all know, both Outback and Xantrex supply their shop-made
power panels with fine stranded cable, not THHN. I wonder if J. Wiles
has ever attempted putting together one of these systems using the wire
he is recommending?

Matt T

Dan Rice wrote:Matt & all,

>Having just attended a John Wiles presentation today, it's worth noting that
>he's strongly campaigning against using fine-stranded cables in lugs and
>connectors that are not specifically listed for fine stranded conductors. He
>contends that fine stranded cables will likely loosen up over time in pressure
>connectors and lugs that were designed for wire with fewer strands (such as 19
>strands for 4/0 THHN). Is the DCBB listed for fine-stranded cables? I believe
>that the GJ breaker box lug is not. I've taken apart DCBB's in the past, and
>conductors were all still tight, though I'll now be checking connections on
>Trace DC disconnects and GJ breakers as the occasions arise. Are other wrenches
>finding problems with fine-stranded cables in these applications? Has anyone
>experienced problems with field-crimped cable lugs or with pre-made
>fine-stranded battery interconnects (that all appear to use the types of lugs
>that are not listed for fine-stranded cable)?
>
>Dan Rice-

Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
http://click.topica.com/caadHk7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/911PaydayAdvance

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com