AC/DC in the same conduit [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 21 08:56:42 PDT 2005

<x-flowed>
Hey Nick and Jay and all,

Yes there is a provision in the code "if part of
the same system" but beware.  Not only can you
run into interpretation issues by inspectors
there is a very real possibility of induced
currents and noise.  I'm not an expert on it but
from my experience with high voltages and
amperages in electric vehicles, DC current can
cause some serious induction currents.  So you
may get away with it on a code level but the
physics of the matter should really be checked
out!  At the amperages you are talking about with
your PV system - they may not be a problem - but
it would be nice to quantify that.

Anyone out there with a fundamental electrical
engineering head better than mine know the really
issues, here?

Best,

Jeff C.

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Get $1,000 to spend on groceriesÖ any way you please. Click here!
>http://click.topica.com/caadAcAbz8Qcsa9hBZia/GrocerySpree
>
>Hi Nick,
>
>I don't have my code book in front of me, but
>this issue has been reviewed here before and it
>is OK to have both AC and DC in same
>gutter/conduit if they are part of the same
>system.
>
>I believe the issue of "same system" is open to
>great interpretation but since the AC and DC are
>part of the same "system" it is covered.
>

>thanks,
>
>jay
>
>Peltz power
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
>Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to
>improveyour childís reading skills. Click below
>to sign up now!
>http://click.topica.com/caadCUzbz8Qcsa9hBZif/Zoobooks
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage