L-16 "cycling" requirements? [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 06:36:05 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Question:
I was told that antinmony was added to the plates to
make them stronger to take vibration which fork lifts
and floor scrubbers might get. But RE systems should
not get.  I also believe the antinmony causes the high
self discharge rates.  So would not Lead calcium with
much lower self discharge rates and less need cycling
be better?

Tom in your case what was the configuration that
caused the earily failure?  So I can avoid.
Darryl
--- "Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works" > While we are
talking about cycles.....

> What is a cycle?
>
> Travis,
>
> I had a talk with a Dynasty battery engineer when I
> was researching deep
> cycle AGMs.  I asked him about cycle life and when I
> told him that the
> majority of the time my bank would be discharged
> less than 20% of its
> capacity he commented that "it barely counts" and
> that cycle life was based
> on 80% DOD.  At 20% DOD he said the battery would
> last far longer.  He also
> repeated what just about every battery expert I've
> talked to said "batteries
> want to be charged" and that keeping them fully
> charged was always the best
> condition.
>
> My old trojan bank was always kept floated at
> 29.5vdc, which kept them
> gently bubbling.  I seldom equalized them and the
> watering issue was not as
> big a deal as I thought.  I had to water them maybe
> one more time a year
> than if I had not kept them at that high a voltage.
> They failed, but not
> because of their charge voltage but more because of
> their configuration.
>
> Tom Elliot

Need a new washer and dryer set? You could get one free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaGbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com