Surplus DC Generator on E-Bay [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue Apr 26 10:54:35 PDT 2005

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Sharebuilder

That baldor/subaru one looks great and a bargain!

I have the military one - here are some points:

(mine is very similar - different fuel tank and housing...)

MAJOR fuel consumption (mine has a dual tank valve so I can suck right out
of a jerry can)

LOUD!!!

Starter depends on negative through grounded chassis (issue: multi ground
bond point or current carrying ground conductor....)
remote start not really possible as choke is typically required

"fine tuning" the voltage and output rheostat... typically I start the unit,
turn the charge voltage way down, turn breakers on, and slowly turn up
voltage until the breakers flip, then back voltage down a bit, flip up
breakers and then REALLY slowly turn up voltage until amps flow, motor
sags... then it warms up and I creep the voltage up until I am at 100%
output (about 100 amps), then I check and adjust every 30 mins or so as this
varies due to batt voltage, motor heat, phase of the moon?

Very heavy duty engine, 4 cyld. low compression, shielded wires, shrouded
air intake preheater, dielectric spring thermostatic louver on cooling
shroud... heavy skid (all around HEAVY...

Bottom line: not for the typical customer - fine for the techie willing to
be "involved"... and as has been said before - no voltage control so batts
could be overcharged....

I wish I never ran it... gonna expand my PV this year... my Bergey XL-1 cut
my winter gentime from 9 hrs/week down to 6 hrs per month (about) when the
batts haven't seen full and the clothes are piling up and the vacuumed is
calling......

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TopOffers
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com