Off grid Islanding [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Apr 14 19:45:56 PDT 2005

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadlVBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing Computer

Hi All;

I've got an interesting addition to a large off grid system I did a few
years ago. The customer now wants to add a swimming pool complete with
solar heating. The problem is the existing 4 SW4048s are running close to
their capacity already, and the existing array location is out of unshaded
area to add more modules. I had a crazy scheme that between using high
efficiency pumps, not circulating 24/7 , adding more inverters, and adding
PV modules near the pool, I could meet this new load. The pool would be
almost 400 ft from the battery room, so I was exploring the idea of using
something like the SunnyBoy Island inverters to feed the new PV modules
power back into the main system. I figure the Sunnyboy wouldn't play well
with the SWs, but I can power a separate AC load center at the battery side
with one or 2 sunny boys, and then connect via AC to the pool system and
additional Sunnyboy(s) there.
I've considered building a separate system, or running higher voltage DC
for the distance, but since I need to add inverters anyway, I thought this
might work. Anyone try the Sunnyboy Islanding Inverters? BTW, I want
to  use the main system, since it is backed up by a 30 kW Kohler on auto
start.
Another possibility, was running the pool circ pumps array direct with DC
pumps. Do pools really have to circulate 24/7 or would 8 hours a day be
adequate? The pool will be in an insulated glass enclosure built into a
hillside with lots of passive solar gain. Any experience with running pool
pumping systems, integrated with active solar heating, and all run off grid
would be greatly appreciated. ( I know this has some environmentally
dubious aspects, but this stuff keeps me in business to do all the other
systems that help the planet more) Hey and getting experience with these
islanding systems will prime me for helping villages out in other countries.

Thanks for your help,

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Is your PC running slow? Try a FREE PC Health Check today!
http://click.topica.com/caadlCkbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC Health Check

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com