power tolerance point of fact [RE-wrenches]

David Brearley DavidB at energyoutfitters.com
Thu Apr 7 08:40:42 PDT 2005

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get

0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

When I was in school in New Mexico, we took Daystar readings in the winter that exceeded 1100 W/m2.  We were probably at 5500 feet.  Marco's point is well taken, without a meter reading who's to say if 204 watts off a 190 watt module is higher or lower than expected?

Perhaps someone on the list can offer insight into the Sanyo's amorphous silicon layer performance out of the box?  I have always understood that amorphous silicon modules come out of the box outperforming their ratings.  After an accelerated period of Light Induced Degradation, the module output stabilizes, presumably at a power level warranted by the manufacturer.

If the amorphous layer in the Sanyo behaves the same way, then it stands to reason that the modules will come out of the box "hot", performing above rated power.

Any thoughts?

David C. Brearley
Eastern Regional Branch Manager
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer(tm)