nimh batteries [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 27 17:15:49 PST 2005

Repair corrupt files and harmful errors - protect your PC Take a
2-minute PC health check-up at no charge!
http://click.topica.com/caaddztbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Hi Jay,
At my former employer, Real Goods, I had to stay pretty on top of the
rechargeable battery biz, so I did a lot of testing, checking stated
capacity vs. actual performance. NiMH cells have gotten really GOOD! They
keep increasing in capacity. Last year they reached parity with the standard
throwaway alkaline cells (Duracell, Eveready, etc.) Most AA brand name
alkalines deliver about 1900 to 2000 mA. I've never seen an alkaline that
got up to 2100 mA. There's NiMH AA cells out there now that can do 2200 mA
and more. And I mean in actual testing, they'll deliver that kind of
capacity cycle after cycle.

The generic NiMH cells that Real Goods sells (Golden Power brand) are rated
at 2200 mA. I found them delivering 2100 to 2300 mA consistently.

I found some Eveready 2100 mA cells at my local hardware store. They
averaged about 1900 mA in the real world.

The best NiMH charger I've found is made in Germany by Accucell. It does a
pulse charging that rechargeables love. Sold in this country as the
AccuManager 20. It does all chemistries, all sizes, mix 'em up any way you
want, it runs each charging bay individually and switches to trickle mode
automatically, so you can leave 'em in the charger till you're ready for
them.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
DC Power Systems