Hydro & Outback [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Feb 15 18:31:14 PST 2005

I would suggest that you stay DC and consider installing more than one
turbine if the water flow allows or the power needs dictate. DC hydros
are much cheaper, much simpler and much much more tolerant of variable
flow situations. AC hydros are useful when you talking 10kW or more in
my opinion - and even then I wonder...

As far as regulating the charging of the batter from the hydros - the
typical "dump" load system is ideal - and it can be done directly off
the AUX control output provided on each of the MX60 controllers.  Using
at least two MX60s is recommended as this allows redundancy of the dump
load system in case there is a problem with the dump load itself or the
controller.

I have been running a solid state relay rated at 40 amps and 100vdc on
my own hydro system for a while now with very good success.  The MX60
includes a PWM mode for the AUX output in the "Diversion" mode by simply
setting the time delay and hysteresis setpoints both to zero.  This
should only be done with solid-state type relays of course.

The advantage of using the MX60 to control the dump load (while it still
also provides MPPT and regulation of the PV array at the same time) is
that you get coordination of the dump load with the PV controller.  Both
are temp comp'd and if you tell the system to EQ the dump load is
automatically disabled to allow the voltage to reach the EQ level.

You also can even have the MX60 process the hydro power itself - this is
similar to using a higher voltage PV array with a lower voltage battery
- you get to go farther on small wire.  Since most of the good hydros
have adjustable magnet systems in them these days, the MX60 will not
necessarily get more power out of the turbine if it is asjusted properly
- but it can make readjustment unnecessary as you turn down the number
of nozzles to handle lower water levels. It doesn't work with all of the
hydro models - but many have been tested to work OK.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE