Honda Gennie Problem [RE-wrenches]

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:58:55 PST 2005

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac8udbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

At 10:17 PM -0700 7/2/05, Allan Sindelar wrote:

>OK, Hugh, now it's my turn to be missing something, and perhaps you can
>explain...
>While it's called an alternator, its output is straight DC.

If you dug around in there you would find some AC wires leading to a
rectifier.  They may not be easy to get at though :-)

>An external
>regulator supplies varying current to the field coil to control the
>alternator's current and voltage.

Many of the ones I have seen already have a separate rectifier for
the field current.  This is also connected to the 'warning light'
circuit.  When the machine stops, the field current stops, except for
a small current from the bulb.  You could maybe use this warning
light terminal to energise the valve if it is wired this same way.

>As the alternator's charging output to the
>batteries is DC, is there a solution similar to your suggestion below,
>without running the entire charging output through a big honkin' diode?

Yes, there is a simple solution via a separate rectifier which may
already exist, or if not could be wired to the existing AC wires.
This will give you smooth DC unlike the single phase AC output of the
Honda battery charger.
--
Hugh

Scoraig Wind Electric