Thmax: Solamax vs Mazdon [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Mon Jan 31 22:54:52 PST 2005

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac48Tbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Wrenches,
Zev Fisher with Thermomax (distributor of) in Victoria, B.C. asked me to
post this response to the critiques and critics:

Start Quote:
Obviously you cannot make something from nothing and we never say that we
can. This is clear from the performance graphs on our website
www.solarthermal.com. Our graphs clearly show that our performance drops in
the winter; however we can produce 150-180 degree water in sunny winter or
filtered light conditions (not thick overcast) in sub freezing and windy
conditions. The reason why flat plates can shed the snow is because they
loose half their heat through reradiating the collected energy to the
atmosphere and so the snow melts off. Big deal, a flat plate's heat loss
provides snow melt, hardly a great feature when hot water or space heating
with reduced backup use is the service people need. Solve the snow problem
with a steeper installation like on a wall or use a better than 60 degree
angle on the collector, it will improve the winter performance and reduce
the summer performance.

Jeremy Smithson of Puget Sound Solar has a batch of tubes and manifolds that
are over twenty years old that are still performing like the day they were
born.  We have plenty of documented evidence form the field that shows the
superior performance of Thermomax evacuated tubes over flat plates. Can
somebody show me a 20 or 30 year old flat plate, built since the seventies
that is still operating?

With T'max tubes you can run the Mazdon system with a tube out and even
change it without shutting the system down. Solamax is a bit different, and
does require the system to be shut down to change out a tube. We always
recommend a closed loop on our systems. Unless you live in the tropics where
we have a higher quality manifold system that can handle the open loop
concept.
End Quote.

Zev goes on to say that they are planning side-by-side performance testing
between flat plates and Thermomax tubes and offers the opportunity for any
of us, or flat-plate manu's to supply the FP collector (so they won't be
accused of using an inferior FP). He also sent a performance comparison
between the Thermomax tubes and Flat Plate collector done by BC Hydro (the
local utility).
If you'd like to see that comparison, or want further information please
contact Zev at

Thermomax, zev at solarthermal.com, 250-721-4360.

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems
986 Wanamaker Rd, Coupeville, WA 98239
ph & fax: 360-678-7131
sunwind at whidbeysunwind.com
www.whidbeysunwind.com
Renewable Energy Now!

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac48Rbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com