Thmax: Solamax vs Mazdon [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Sat Jan 29 22:22:28 PST 2005

Get a FREE* Portable Satellite Radio - yours to keep! Click Here!
http://click.topica.com/caac6MKbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Portable Satellite Radio Promotion

Brad, Tom & Don,

Thanks for your comments. It's clear that you believe that flat plates are
preferable to evacuated tubes. There are a few situations where it seems to
me that tubes might be considered:

1. Tom acknowledges that tubes work better at higher temperatures. When
space for
storage is limited (as it frequently seems to be) more BTU's can stored in a
given volume by working at a higher temperature. We're using highly
insulated SS tanks that can take the high temperature.

2. The tubes seem to collect better than flat plates at a low angle of
incidence. That means tubes can be mounted on off-south orientations with
better performance than flat plates. Also each tube can be rotated 15
degrees or so toward South  without shading each other. And, the tubes don't
need to be tilted as steeply as flat-plates when mitigation of seasonal
variation is desired. That is important for customers who have aesthetic
concerns of steeply tilted panels.

3. Installation of the tube collectors is simpler. All the components can be
easily carried up a ladder and assembled on the roof. No boom truck
necessary. That mitigates some of the extra material cost of the tubes.

I appreciate the feedback from more-experienced installers. Keep it coming!
BTW, I HAVE read Tom's book - I have both the Third and Twenty-Sixth (!)
editions.

-Kelly