Thmax: Solamax vs Mazdon [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 27 20:50:42 PST 2005

Kelly,
  back in the mid '90s when Sun Family was offering an evacuated tube
collector, they ran into the same problem with the SRCC test, which uses a
standardized computer simulation, rather than testing actual panels in
operation. The FSEC test is a real physical test, so is probably more
accurate, but also probably a lot more expensive. Here's what I wrote in the
9th Sourcebook ('96):
"There is reasonable doubt about the SRCC computer models not accurately
reflecting true performance of this unique collector design. Colorado State
University conducted a series of highly monitored, rigorously scientific
tests on a variety of solar hot water collectors. They noted 33% to 41%
higher collection and delivery BTUs for the Sun Family than the SRCC
simulation ratings. That is an enormous variation from the "official"
yardstick. This controversy hasn't been resolved yet, but every indication
is that the SRCC data is flawed, and Sun Family heaters actually produce
substantially more hot water than their official ratings would suggest."

  Because Sun Family withdrew from the market a few months later, I don't
think the SRCC question ever was resolved. I'd tend to agree with your
distributor...but really, I'd rather see Solamax AND Mazdon (and everybody
else who wants to peddle solar hot water collectors) go get the definitive
FSEC test. Come on guys, you want us to sell your collectors, give us
standardized, repeatable, comparable performance data! Or, is there some
reason you don't want us to see that?

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
DC Power Systems