Grounding (was: wire color [RE-wrenches])

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 15:49:07 PST 2005

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac2N5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

For years, PV and wind professionals do not ground the DC negative (or DC positive) to avoid lightning damage. Jacobs wind generators floated the DC and grounded the tower and successfully avoided lightning damage. Mobile and marine PV and wind systems operated successfully ungrounded.

Then somebody's so-called good idea forced NEC grounding the DC negative.

Then someone else said that PV arrays could cause house fires so NEC started requiring ground fault protection on residences and the only UL listed DC ground fault protection device was the cludgey board that Trace put together (which I still use on my SW4048 system).

Is there documented evidence of a professionally installed and inspector approved roof-mounted PV array without ground fault protection catching fire? I don't think so.