Mutiple Array Spacing at 38deg N Latitude [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Jan 10 10:41:25 PST 2005

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac2NUbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

HI Jeremy,
I went to http://www.susdesign.com/sunangle/ to get the sun altitude
angle at 10:00 AM for your location  22.41degrees
This site has the trig functions.
http://www.univie.ac.at/future.media/moe/galerie/wfun/wfun.html

You want leg b and know  leg a and angle (a).
b = cot(a) * a,  cotangent is not a windows calculator function, so...
cot (a) = 1 / tan(a) therefore b = 1 / tan(a) *  leg a,
simplify b = leg a / tan (a)
in your case leg a = 15" the solution then is:
b = 15 / tan 22.4
b = 15 / .412
b = 36.4"

Your row spacing should be at least 36.4" to avoid inter-row shading in
December between 10AM and 2PM.

The rule of thumb derived for solar thermal collectors, is bascially
correct for the noon elevation angle, but that is not when you are
generating power. The tendancy of PV modules to dramatically reduce
output under only a little shading requires different assumptions.

cul  deant

Jeremy Rodriguez wrote:

>Wrenches,
>Can someone confirm spacing of one array to another to be object height x 2.
>I know it depends on your latitude. The site it at 38N
>I have studied some pages sent to me by DP&W but I still have a question.
>Is the object height the height from the roof?
>I have figured out that the highest point of the modules will be 15".  If I use a factor of 2, it seems to be quite a distance to the next mount.
>Sorry, I normally do pole mounts and this will actually be my first grid connected pv system to install here in Colorado.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jeremy
>All Solar
>CO, USA

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Get a free* Bible and salvation reading plan.  Click here.
>http://click.topica.com/caac2N9bz8QcsbdulIif/PermissionData
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php