SPAM: RE: DC heat [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue Nov 22 07:37:43 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaedmqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Thanks for all the input-

I could suggest heat pump to the customer, however - one of the design goals
is simplicity (this is a remote installation in the high plateaus of Bolivia
after all).  There is no allowance for duct work in this building, and the
goal was to minimize battery plant, inverters and BOS... Also - my (minimal)
understanding of Heat pumps (air source) is that at about 20 degrees they
turn on the resistance strips anyway.... and sometimes there is a defrost
cycle etc...  I always tell battery based folks to not try and power them
(the last one had a 100 amp 240 breaker).  In response to Ian's thoughtful
post I need to learn more and open my mind to such possibilities.  I am
going to add a couple window AC units to MY house next summer....

In a sense, DC resistance heating from the wind is kind of like direct water
pumping.  In my scheme we heat the slab directly (after charging our minimal
battery bank saved for AC loads).  Perhaps even go with two layers of heat
and heat the deeper layer after a T-stat is satisfied.   According to David
Katz - we can use off the shelf AC stuff with DC - this seems simple.
(Hmmm... how about 3-phase wild AC?)  Resistance heat is inefficient, but
also simple, reliable, easily installed and transported, avoids battery wear
and tear and battery/inverter losses.  This is where my gut is leading me -
any objections?

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
http://click.topica.com/caaeas1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DirectSatTV

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php