grounding of wind towers [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Nov 2 14:45:33 PST 2005

So Much Television, Such Little Time!  In Love with Lost(TM) or
Devoted to Desperate Housewives(TM)? Take our premier week
survey, complete our offers, and get a FREE* DVD set of either
show!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatAbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Viewer Survey

Group,

We've probably covered this before, but what's the best way to ground a
wind generator tower? I usually drive a rod at the base and all guys,
and ground the tower as well as all guy levels. Then put a lightning
arrestor at the tower base where the splice to larger wire is and
connect the arrestor neutral/gnd to the rod at that location. As most
generator manuals do not discuss grounding and lightning protection, I
wonder if I'm going too far or not far enough. And is it wise to connect
the tower ground to the system (house) ground in all cases? Exceptions?

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
fax 802.863-7908
NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
NYSERDA-eligible installer
VT Solar and Wind Partner

Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
http://click.topica.com/caaeatsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Your opinion

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com