Articulation of wiring problems [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Aug 16 16:20:21 PDT 2005

Are you a lottery player?Play smarter! Improve your
odds  and detect winning patterns. Access the best
kept lottery secret on the Net. Easy to use!
http://click.topica.com/caadOubbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Lottery Vault

Friends:

I visited a site yesterday for a service call on a system that I did not
install.  I do a thorough inspection of all wiring.  I found several things
that I know are wrong, but darn if I'm not having a little problem
articulating why they are wrong.  I'd like to give a brief description of
the problems, and if anyone out there can help me put in words why this is
a problem, I'd be very grateful:

1. PV wiring:  40 SR100s on 5 Zomeworks trackers.  4 modules are wired in
series and paralleled with another string of 4.  Positive and negative
leads are fused.  I know this is wrong because:

a. there should not be fuses in the negative leads and can probably find
the NEC citation.
b. If there are more than 2 or 3 strings, each string should be fused
instead of each PAIR of strings and, thanks to John Bercener's paper, can
prove that easily.  Below is a link to the wiring diagram:

http://www.mpandc.com/case_studies/Scott/PV.jpg

2. Charge controller wiring.  All strings are combined in positive and
negative busses in the orchard.  Each buss is connected to a 1/0 lead that
runs to the garage about 150 feet away.  In the garage, the 1/0s connect to
two smaller busses.  From each buss, a #6 lead connects to each of three
C40 charge controllers.  I know this is wrong because:

a. There is no disconnecting means for each charge controller input,
b. Each charge controller should be wired directly to the strings it is
controlling,
c. Each controller is subject to all of the current produced by all PV
modules, well in excess of the 40 amps rated for each controller.

Are there code passages related to a through c above?  the link above also
shows this wiring.

3. Ac wiring.  The house has a 400 amp Cutler Hammer service.  The meter
jaws had factory installed jumpers that fed a small buss in the customer
side that has a 200 Amp breaker designed to feed a sub panel and also
connect to a 200 amp breaker feeding breaker buss bars for branch
circuits.  The installer removed the factory jumpers from the meter jaws
and routed the meter output to a fused disconnect and then back to the
meter cabinet.  Below is a link to a drawing of this wiring:

http://www.mpandc.com/case_studies/Scott/ACWiring.jpg

I know the above is wrong because:

a. The factory internal wiring has been modified, violating it's listing.
b. There is no longer any disconnecting means for the wiring to the fused
disconnect,
c. It may violate the tap rule.

Anyone want to chime in on this scenario.

Thanks for your input.

William Miller

http://click.topica.com/caadOuabz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC PowerScan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com