Xantrex PV30208 Install in LA [RE-wrenches]

peter.parrish at calsolareng.com peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Jun 17 12:16:16 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadAclbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

We recently finished installation of a 36kW-STC grid-tied PV system in
the City of LA and encountered some difficulty with our Building and
Safety inspector wrt the Xantrex PV30208 with 208Y/480Y isolation
transformer.

We purchased a "grid-tied kit" from Xantrex which consisted of a PV
combiner box, DC disconnect, inverter, transormer and AC disconnect.

It was our understanding that the inverter/transformer was a single
power source and had been tested to UL1741. We provided a continuous
ground from the inverter chassis ground stud, to aisolation tranformer
chassis ground to a cold water pipe; and we furnished the wiring between
the inverter and transformer via a short section of 1-1/4" EMT.

Our inspector wanted to treat the inverter and isolation transformer as
seperately derived power sources with separate grounds to a cold-water
pipe and an additional fusible disconnect between the two.

I have spoken to the Xantrex Project (Product) Engineer as well as the
Manager, Quality Systems for the PV seriews inverters and they have
provided documentation to support the contention that the inverter and
transformer comprise a single "system kit" that has been tested and
certified by UL to be in compliance with UL1741 as well as
IEEE-929-2000.

I am prepared to do as the B&S inspector requires, but I would also like
to know if anyone else has encountered this problem or a similar one in
connection with the PV30208 inverter.

- Peter Parrish

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcrbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com