L-16 "cycling" requirements? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Fri May 20 09:06:40 PDT 2005

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPbbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Good discussion... I probably need to turn up my charging set points a few
notches.  On many systems I have used "out of the box" settings... 14.4
bulk.  Higher would mean more watering, more heat stress on batts? but also
more effective use of potential storage and (probably) more shaking off of
sulfation crystals...

So - a customer asked me my opinion on some advice he got re: batts (Flooded
lead acid - in this case 2 volt 883AH KS-17s) "should I discharge them on
purpose, to cycle them, to make them last longer?"  My response was
something like "well - in a forklift or scrubber application the batteries
are considered expendable and the grid based charging free, so choices and
practices are different.  My approach and my understanding of the off-grid
approach is to "baby" them, always conserving, watching voltage and staying
in the top end as much as you can.  Shoot for achieving full charge at least
once a week, and equalize/water 3-4 times per year."

Am I missing something?  Am I doing my batts and my customer's a disservice
with this approach?  Almost all of my systems have at least c/20 capacity
off the PV, often more. I shoot for 3 days of zero input autonomy, and
design around 50% D.O.D.  Most systems have undersized portable AC gennys
that are more to "help" the system in winter with big loads and charging,
but also can help some systems get started on a full charge or equalization
cycle.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner