Stand Alone PV system volt / amp problem [RE-wrenches]

Chris Anderson chris at borregosolar.com
Thu Apr 7 10:24:48 PDT 2005

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/DiscoverCard

Any help on this one would be appreciated.

We have an off grid home, where we have installed 12 Shell 160's 6x2 on
an Outback VFX 2548 with 8 6v Concorde Batteries. The system is feeding
a 100 amp Square D main distribution center. Given the inverter output
is only 120 volt, we fed inverter output L1 to one leg of the 100 amp
main breaker at the top of the main distribution panel and jumpered over
to the second bus/lug on the main breaker in order to electrify both
bus' in the panel with 120v power. There is a 50amp breaker on the AC
output circuit of the inverter.

I have two problems.

1. I have got an inspector who is saying that manufactured homes MUST be
fed by 240V power. He is adamant that the main distribution panel must
be fed by 240v. We have jumpered the bus in grid tie battery back-up
systems like this before, but never on an off grid. Anyone have any
thoughts here or can point me to a code section that either confirms or
negates what we have done?

2. The inspector is also saying that panel must be fed with the amps
indicated on the main breaker. In this case, the main breaker is
100amps, therefore it must be fed with 100A. Either that or the main can
be replaced if a load calc is done and the home is "de-amped". He has
taken issue with the 100 amp main being fed by the inverter given the 50
amp breaker on the AC output side of the inverter.

Any help/insight on these two issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Chris Anderson
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc.
727 Allston Way, Suite B
Berkeley, CA 94710
Tel. - 510-843-1113 x 105
Fax - 510-843-1116
Cell - 510-501-7062

Support The Tsunami Solar Light Fund

http://www.RenewableEnergyAccess.com/tsunami

This e-mail message may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not view, disclose, use,
disseminate, distribute, copy, or rely upon this message or attachment
in any way. If you received this e-mail message in error, please return
by forwarding the message and its attachments to the sender and delete
the message.

Borrego Solar Systems, Inc. and its affiliates do not accept liability
for any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in the contents of this
message or any attachments that arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadlVBbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing Computer

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com