tolerating 10% tolerance? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Wed Apr 6 08:09:52 PDT 2005

Personals at Meeting Friends Online.
Find your perfect partner...We’re here to help.
Click below to register for FREE and start connecting!
http://click.topica.com/caadmZ5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MeetingFriendsOnline

I just heard that BP is moving from a 5% power tolerance to 10% on their
"new" modules...  I sense a race to the bottom here.  It is frustrating to
read the European PV magazines and see companies touting 3% power
tolerance - obviously the Kwh output driven feed in tariffs are making
consumers and designers focus on real world performance.  Rather than
bitchen... what suggestions do we have for reversing this "trend"...

Perhaps a starting point is circulating a list of available glass and what
the policy is on power tolerance (that would be useful for me at least as I
chose what modules to spec, and how to derate them for my system performance
projections).

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

That being said, we need something to keep manufacturers from consistently
fudging 10% on their STC ratings. We also need something to reward
manufacturers that don't fudge their ratings. I the STC method used for New
York, so I know that method can work--it still does not address the
underlying problem. Our industry needs to get real. The inverter
manufacturers have had to ante up on the performance side so why shouldn't
the module manufacturers (that are selling everything they make and then
some). Module real STC outputs are farther off their nameplate ratings than
the inverter manufacturers were off on their published ratings--that's a
fact. It's time to do something about it.

Bill

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVCbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Consumer Research

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php